Important information for potential and existing members of the fishery
Below you will find important information to keep in mind when using our fishery. This ranges from how to treat the fish, to how to deal with lost property down to bringing guests to the lake.
If you have any questions about our member information, or want to discuss any of our fishery’s rules, then call us today on 07586 808787, or get in touch by sending us a message through our contact page.
1. Can everyone please remember to FULLY complete their return when visiting the lake. There have been a number of returns where signing out times were omitted and the size of fish taken left blank or fish caught shown in the wrong column. On occasion members have either not signed in or out or have completely forgot to record their catch. The column headed Weight of fish taken should show the weight of EACH fish taken. There are accurate wall mounted scales in the Returns Hut to assist and a supply of carrier bags to put your fish in. The Returns sheet is simple and self explanatory and only takes seconds to complete.
Full and accurate completion of visits and catches ensures comprehensive data is available to determine stocking requirements and allow the Fishery Manager to provide all members with detailed returns on a month to month basis. In addition can you sign in showing your full name please. This helps all our members get to know each other by name as waistcoat badges are not always visible or worn. It does help if you wear them all times when visiting the fishery. Please also remember to always carry your current Fishing Licence.
The Environment Agency are aware of our syndicate and although it has been some time since we have had a bailiff visit they can turn up at any time. Fishing without a licence carries a substantial fine and confiscation of fishing equipment. They ALWAYS prosecute.
2. Fluro/ leader line is still being encountered on the bank, in the shelter, around platforms and even in the car park. Please ensure you take your discarded line back home with you. The same comments apply to discarded litter. No one ( other than other members ) are going to remove it!
3. Please remind yourself of our simple rules. Every member is supplied with a hard copy of our rules with their waistcoat badge at the commencement of each new season. They are displayed in the Returns Hut and on our website.
4. Although not in our rules, but agreed many seasons ago at an AGM, please do not "hog” platforms. You will encounter fish shoaling on many occasions, especially early in the season and it can be easy to catch numerous fish from one platform in a short time. In order to allow others to enjoy our fish, after you have caught say 4 fish from the same platform please consider moving to another platform. This practise is common at commercial fisheries. Your assistance is much appreciated.
5. Each member is permitted to take up to 6 guests to the lake each season subject to PRIOR NOTIFICATION & AGREEMENT with the Fishery Manager. As mentioned before this is aimed at encouraging family members and/or friends to join our syndicate. Therefore, members may only take the same guest to the lake twice in any one season unless they are a family member. A 4 hour visit is £28.00 and a full day visit £38.00. Both “tickets” allow the first two fish caught to be taken up to 3lb in size. Catch and Release is then allowed as detailed in our Rules.
NO GUEST TICKETS ARE PERMITTED DURING APRIL AND MAY.
Payments for guests should made by BACS for £28/£38 whenever possible . Cheques will also be accepted if BACS payments cannot be made . Account details for BACS and cheques are available on request from the Fishery Manager.
6. Here are the details of the annual trophies which are awarded each season.
PLEASE REMEMBER THAT ONLY WEIGHED AND WITNESSED FISH CAN BE CONSIDERED AS TROPHY WINNING FISH. WEIGHED ONLY AND ESTIMATED WEIGHTS OF FISH WILL BE RECORDED ON OUR ROLLS OF HONOUR FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES. PHOTOS OF TROPHY FISH WILL ALSO BE CONSIDERED. PLEASE SHOW WEIGHED AND WITNESSED FISH AS (WW) AGAINST YOUR RETURN, (W) FOR WEIGHED ONLY FISH & (EST) FOR ESTIMATED WEIGHED FISH.
YOUR ASSISTANCE IS MUCH APPRECIATED.
1 BOB MCMILLAN MEMORIAL TROPHY FOR HEAVIEST BROWN CAUGHT IN THE SEASON
2 COLIN REED MEMORIAL TROPHY FOR HEAVIEST RAINBOW CAUGHT IN THE SEASON
3 PAUL HALE MEMORIAL TROPHY FOR MOST BROWNS IN THE SEASON
4 JACK SMITH MEMORIAL TROPHY FOR MOST BROWNS IN ONE SESSION
5 JOHN PAY MEMORIAL TROPHY FOR HEAVIEST BLUE CAUGHT IN THE SEASON
6 RAE LAW MEMORIAL TROPHY FOR MOST BLUES CAUGHT IN THE SEASON
7 JOHN T DICKSON MEMORIAL TROPHY FOR HEAVIEST BROWN CAUGHT BY 31ST OCTOBER
8 ALISTAIR MCCANN MEMORIAL TROPHY FOR 2 OR MORE FISH 7LB OR OVER IN ONE SESSION
9 THE MILLAN WATERS "4 SPECIES" TROPHY (Awarded to any member catching a rainbow , brown , blue and sparctic trout in ONE SESSION). Unlike the other trophies, this one does not require to be witnessed and relies only on the honesty of the member!
The trophies are designed to be a bit of fun but have become highly competed for over the years. Fully engraved trophies are awarded at our annual AGM to the winners.
Please always remember when weighing any fish and/or taking any photos to do so as quickly and carefully as possible to give the fish ever chance of a full recovery. Please see PHOTOGRAPHING THAT SPECIAL FISH under syndicate Catch and Release Protocols for additional guidance
7. Should any member have met their daily kill limit and then proceed to catch a fish which is clearly distressed and unlikely to survive please dispatch it and log it in your return with appropriate comment. This also applies to any species and size of fish during the High Temperature Control months. This is to reduce the impact of any distressed fish swimming away but subsequently being unable to recover. Each individual’s common sense prevails on these occasions. We are very fortunate to process the water quality we have and if dead fish can be avoided, deterioration will be reduced.
8. Just a reminder to all our new members. A knotless landing net must be used on all occasions (the net must be knotless to comply with the law). The practice of Catch and Release is looked upon as a concession. Please see our syndicate Catch and Release Protocols for more details.
9. The two containers sited close to the extended landing stage house a number of small boats for use by members only. Both containers have combination locks and the current access code will be supplied to new members when they join. Both locks are identical. Some boats are individually owned and are padlocked by the owners. If you do use the syndicate boats can I ask that you take care in removing and returning them to the containers. Damage can occur if they are not lifted over the lip of the container base doors. Getting the boats launched and removed is much easier when we have high water levels.
PLEASE REMEMBER BOATS ARE USED ENTIRELY AT MEMBERS OWN RISK.
10. All members will be supplied with a waistcoat badge upon joining the syndicate and prior to the commencement of each new season when membership is renewed. It would be appreciated if all members prominently display their badges on each visit to the fishery. We police ourselves so if you don't wear your badge, please don't be offended if a member asks who you are!
11. All members are supplied with two keys. One for entry to the car park and the other in respect of the entry gate and returns hut. Please remember you need to insert the key in the car park lock to set the locking bar in place before turning the key to lock it. The entry gate and returns hut both open with the other key and the locking clasp only needs to be pushed in to lock them.
12. Should you lose your keys or badge, please let me know as replacements can be obtained at a cost of £5.00 each.
13. All members need to be aware that the water in the lake is extracted for irrigation purposes by the owner but how much is clearly dependant on weather conditions. Given that water is pumped in from the stream and there are two boreholes in operation water levels should never be a problem for us.
14. All members will be emailed a monthly news update advising all returns for the month together with any stocking details, successful fly patterns, updates to the Rolls of Honour and any other relevant information. Members can also contact the Fishery Manager should they wish to have something included, for example items for sale, seeking a fly pattern, wishing to buy an item , wishing to share information with members etc. Please advise the Fishery Manager and it will be added to the next monthly News.
15. Members are allowed to take their dogs to the lake with them but they require to be either on a lead or kept close to the member at all times. Do not allow your dog to run around freely at the lake.
16. The landowner has given syndicate members permission to shoot and/or use ferrets to control the large population of rabbits around the lake. Obviously, please be extremely careful if other members are fishing the lake at the time.
17. If a member finds a lost item and the owner cannot be found during that visit, please advise the Fishery Manager and retain the item. Details of the lost item will be circulated to all members to hopefully find the owner and arrange the it's safe return. Unless the item has a modest value , DO NOT leave it in the Returns Hut
18. Do not gut fish on the bank or in the lake. Please take any fish killed home with you. Carrier bags are available in the Returns Hut next to the scales.
19. Please remember to keep the Fishery Manager updated with any changes to mobile and landline telephone numbers , email and postal addresses and any change of vehicle details.
20. As an incentive to existing members in the drive and to attract new members the following offer is being maintained: introduce a new, fully signed up member from now and/or throughout next season and the introducing member will receive an additional £75.00 discount in respect of their next season membership subscription. This additional discount only applies for the next season.